Sheldon Teague heard screams and smelled smoke coming from an upstairs apartment while visiting a friend in Brampton. He went upstairs, kicked down the door and used a flashlight to see through the smoke. He called to the neighbours trapped in the fire. He soon spotted a young girl through the smoke. He ran in, grabbed her, and saved her life.
This 19-year-old had the courage to bring the child to safety before the fire crew arrived. She is currently healing at SickKids Hospital, soon to realize that the rest of her family died in the fire.
Sheldon doesn’t consider himself a hero and said he’s “horrified” by the memory. He wishes he "'could have gotten more people".
Fire is dangerous, and house fires happen. Learn more about fire prevention and safety here.